Healthy lasagna? My dream come true? Absolutely. Mat was complaining about having lasagna for dinner (it’s not his favorite meal), buuuuut as soon as he took a bite, he freaked out. He said it was the best lasagna he’s ever had. Can it possibly beat Costco’s frozen lasagna? You’ll have to make it and find out 😉
This was my first time making lasagna from scratch and it wasn’t nearly as much work as I thought it would be. It took me less than 20 minutes to get everything in the oven. Yay for quick meals!
If you’re looking for a secret to make ground turkey taste just as good as ground beef, I always season my meat with Lawry’s Seasoning Salt. Mmm, such nice flavor.
I topped our lasagna with Parmesan cheese (because we always always have some in our house), but the recipe I saw on Skinny Mom recommends Mozzarella. I’m sure both are delicious.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 jar pasta sauce (23 oz) or use homemade
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 3 tbs Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 6 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or parmesan
- fresh parsley to top
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Saute onions with ground turkey and minced garlic until turkey is browned. (I add seasoning salt here)
- Add pasta sauce and Italian Seasoning. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Chop fresh spinach and mix in with ricotta cheese.
- In baking dish, arrange 1/3 of your noodles. Top with 1/3 of the ricotta/spinach mixture, then 1/3 of the meat mixture. Top with 1/3 of mozzarella (or parmesan).
- Repeat the above step twice, ending with the last of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes and top with fresh parsley.